Thursday, February 3, 2011

Writing Inspiration / Picture Book Marathon

Having just landed from a four-day whirlwind of creative inspiration called NY11 SCBWI,  I am thrilled to be a part of the 2011 Picture Book Marathon. This is my very first Picture Book Marathon, in which my goal is to write one complete draft of a picture book for twenty-six days in the month of February. I'm going for the gold (all 26)!

Even with just one day falling between the NY11 SCBWI and the Picture Book Marathon, I am pleased to share that I am on track with three (3) picture book manuscript drafts completed so far! My very first picture book draft, A LETTER TO BEAR, was inspired by my little one and the little lovey she carries around. Although bear friends are often overdone, hopefully I found a way to make this idea fresh! I guess we'll see...

I wanted to share something I ask myself when things (like perhaps writing twenty-six picture book manuscripts in one month, or even something else) feels overwhelming.
QUESTION: How do you eat an elephant? ANSWER: One bite at a time!

Hope you can see the wisdom in this and that it helps you work your way toward your goal in times of stress.

Have a great day, and good luck to all who are participating in the Picture Book Marathon!

Lynne Marie
http://www.hedgehoggoestokindergarten.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. Lynne, I am in awe of your writing skills, you are so dedicated to your craft. I know you will finish the marathon with no problem. Thank you for inspiring the rest of us to follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne, I love the elephant quote! Very helpful! I'm doing the PB Marathon, too, and I'm a book behind (2 for 3) because yesterday was just too darn busy! But it's the total that counts. Maybe I'll have a great day where I write 2. And if worse comes to worse, we do get 2 free days (I just don't like to use one up so early in the race!) I like the title of your story - I bet it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a huge challenge! Good luck and congrats for deciding to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lindsay! Huge, but fun <3 Thanks for your backpats :)
    @Susanna. I agree that it's not about the total, or whether you win or lose. I think it's really about how well you play the game and what you do with your projects that counts <3 I can't wait to see what you come up with. Oh, and Happy Phyllis Week!
    @Connie - I'm going to try. With the way my life has been it is something I would like to finish for MYSELF <3 It will help me get into the habit of taking time each day for me and my goals. Good luck to you and Susanna, too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynne - thanks for trying to sign up for Share the Love of Books over on my blog. Linky Tools seems to be having issues right now. I was afraid of that. I can't even get in to try and fix things myself. I am going to wait an hour or two then go back and set up the linky to just list text. I think the thumbnails will make things worse - ha ha.

    I hope you will swing back. Try it tomorrow and hopefully, cross your fingers, things will be fixed.

    :-)

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That seems like such a daunting undertaking to me. I came up with 37 or 38 ideas during PiBoIdMo, but only two or three seem worth pursuing. I can't imagine how anyone can up with 26 premises in a month!

    ReplyDelete